The first official survey was made in the year 1901 for the board walk on the Strand, Hermosa Avenue and Santa Fe Avenue; work on these projects commenced soon after. The boardwalk on the Strand was constructed of planks. The walk extended the entire length of the two-mile Strand. High tides sometimes washed away portions of this walkway. In 1914 part of it was replaced with cement. The remaining two thousand feet on the north end was finally completed with cement in 1926.
In 1904 the first pier was built. It was constructed entirely of wood even to the pilings and it extended five hundred feet out into the ocean. The pier was constructed by the Hermosa Beach Land and Water Company. In 1913 this old pier was partly washed away and later torn down and a new one built to replace it.
The first city election for city officers was held December 24, 1906. The town incorporated and its charter was obtained from the state on January 14, 1907. At this time the city acquired ownership of its two mile stretch of ocean frontage, this being included in an original deed to the city from the Hermosa Beach Land and Water Company; this did not include the two hundred and ten feet on each side of the pier. The deed stated that it was to be held in perpetuity as a beach playground, free from commerce, and for the benefit of not only the residents of Hermosa, but also for the sea lovers of Southern California. Hermosa Beach’s original ideals are still reflected along the Strand and beach with ample public space for bike riding and beach play. – from City of Hermosa Beach
Hermosa Beach School District
The Hermosa Beach City School District has two school sites, Hermosa View School and Hermosa Valley School. Hermosa View School has Kindergarten through 3rd grade students and Valley School has 4th through 8th grade students. Both schools are situated in the center of Hermosa Beach, a 1.3 square mile community in the South Bay area of Los Angeles County. As a two-school District, we are unique in the Los Angeles area. In 2004, both schools were honored with California Distinguished School status, and both were named as National Blue Ribbon Schools.